Before proceeding, you'll need the following:
- A digital file of the contract, converted to PDF.
- Your signature on a clean sheet of paper.
- In Preview, click Preview > Preferences > Signatures > Create Signature. Your iSight web camera will activate.
- Hold your signature up against the camera and position it along the blue line.
- Click Accept if you're satisfied with the capture. Preview will even drop out the background, so you get a signature with a transparent background. You could paste this on your contract without worrying about covering the other text embedded in the PDF file.
- Open your PDF contract and click Annotate (ie, pencil icon) > Signature (ie, the italicized and underlined "S"). Choose the signature you just captured.
- Your cursor changes to crosshairs. Click at the point where you wish to insert your signature. Resize the signature to suit your taste, and that's it.
- As a final step, I usually "flatten" this PDF to make sure that the signature is embedded into the document. Just click File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF. This will flatten the file and ensures that your signature is no longer just an annotation that could be deleted.
|The Annotate and Signature icons|